The White House Initiative on AAPIs in collaboration with the U.S. Department of Education is seeking public input on promising practices for disaggregating data on subgroups within the Asian American and Pacific Islander (AAPI) student population.
Census numbers reveal that 37% of Cambodian-Americans, 38% of Hmong-Americans, 33% of Laotian-Americans and 29% of Vietnamese-Americans over the age of 25 had less than a high school education. College numbers show that only 13% of Native Hawaiians and Pacific Islanders 25 years of age and older have at least a bachelor’s degree.
Data disaggregation will assist in understanding differences in AAPI subgroups, and help inform schools and policy makers on improving educational outcomes. The Education Department’s request seeks information on practices, policies, and challenges of collecting and utilizing disaggregated data collection to institutions of higher education and state and local education agencies.
Questions in the RFI include:
- Does your SEA, LEA, school or IHE have a policy for disaggregating data on AAPI racial or ethnic subgroups? If so, please elaborate.
- Please describe how data is collected. (i.e. annual questionnaire, survey, etc.)
- How has this practice of collecting and disaggregating data enhanced the ability to identify and address educational needs of AAPI student subgroups?
- What challenges exist that make adoption of these practices or policies difficult?
- How has the disaggregated data been publicly reported or used?
WHAT: Conference call on the Education Department’s RFI on AAPI Data Disaggregation
WHO: Akil Vohra, Senior Advisor, White House Initiative on Asian Americans and Pacific
WHEN: Thursday, May 31, 2012, at 4:00 PM EST / 1:00 PM PST
HOW: Conference Call-in number: 888-324-2913; Participant Passcode: 6054673
- Go to https://educate.webex.com/educate/j.php?ED=183363917&UID=1280124652&PW=NNzZkYWQzNzMy&RT=MiMxMQ%3D%3D
- If requested, enter your name and email address.
- If a password is required, enter the meeting password: whitehouseaapi
- Click “Join”.
To view in other time zones or languages, please click the link:
WebEx technical support: 866-449-0701
*Note: The webinar is off the record and not for press purposes.